in Air Transport

Boeing releases statement on 737 MAX disagree alert

Posted 30 April 2019 · Add Comment

Boeing has released a statement regarding various news stories circulating on the disagree alert on the 737 MAX.

 

The statement said: “Boeing included the disagree alert as a standard feature on the MAX, although this alert has not been considered a safety feature on airplanes and is not necessary for the safe operation of the airplane. Boeing did not intentionally or otherwise deactivate the disagree alert on its MAX airplanes.

“The disagree alert was intended to be a standard, stand-alone feature on MAX airplanes. However, the disagree alert was not operable on all airplanes because the feature was not activated as intended.

“The disagree alert was tied or linked into the angle of attack indicator, which is an optional feature on the MAX. Unless an airline opted for the angle of attack indicator, the disagree alert was not operable.

“On every airplane delivered to our customers, including the MAX, all flight data and information needed to safely operate the aircraft is provided in the flight deck and on the flight deck display. This information is readily accessible to pilots, and it always has been.

“The air speed, attitude, and altitude displays, together with the stick shaker, are the primary flight information indicators in the flight deck. All recommended pilot actions, checklists, and training are based upon these primary indicators, not on the AOA disagree alert or the angle of attack indicator

“As the MAX safely returns to the air after the software modifications are approved and certified, all MAX production aircraft will have an activated and operable disagree alert and an optional angle of attack indicator. All customers with previously delivered MAX airplanes will have the ability to activate the disagree alert per a service bulletin to airlines.

“We are confident that when the MAX returns to the skies, it will be one of the safest airplanes ever to fly.”

* required field

Post a comment

Other Stories
Advertisement
Latest News

SAA to apply no work policy and allow non strikers to work

South African Airways (SAA) said on Thursday a “no-work-no-pay” principle will apply to employees participating in the strike scheduled to start on Friday, 15 November and those who report for duty, will be allowed to work.

Rolls-Royce Trent 700 certified to power new Airbus BelugaXL Transporter

The Rolls-Royce Trent 700 engine has received certification to power the new Airbus BelugaXL air transporter.

Ethiopia to host Africa’s top summit

Africa’s most prestigious aviation event heads to Ethiopia for the first time, as Michael de Klerk reports.

Kenya Airways wins prestigious African Airlines Association Airline of the Year Award

Kenya Airways has received the prestigious African Airlines Association (AFRAA) Airline of the Year Award for Best Improved in Intra-Africa Connectivity.

Nigeria’s battle-ground

A price war has broken out between Nigeria’s two main ground-handling organisations, leading some to fear that safety could be compromised. Chukwu Emeke reports.

Air Senegal launches Dakar hub

The Senegalese national airline will launch many new routes in Africa (Nouakchott, Abuja, Lagos, Accra and Casablanca).

AVAFA20SK2207050320
See us at
Dubai AS BT2006211119AVAFA20BT2207050320AVMENA20 BT1309100620