in Business & Finance

Government of Burundi plans merger of Air Burundi and SOBUGEA

Posted 7 August 2017 · Add Comment

The government of Burundi is planning to resuscitate moribund national carrier Air Burundi by merging it with fellow parastatal, the profitable ground-handling firm SOBUGEA (Société Burundaise de Gestion des Entrepôts et d'Assistance des Avions en Escale), reports ch-aviation.

The move has encountered intense resistance from SOBUGEA's labour unions who fear mass retrenchments, and even the firm's possible bankruptcy, should the merger proceed.

Air Burundi has been teetering on the brink of collapse since 2007 owing to a lack of serviceable aircraft. The carrier added a single MA-60 over four years ago but has yet to deploy it into revenue service.

As such, to rectify the situation, Burundi's vice-president brought together the Ministry of Transport, Public Works, and Machinery as well as the director general of Air Burundi to devise a way forward concerning the revitalisation of Air Burundi. A multisectoral commission was then established consisting of thirteen experts from across the country's economic divide.

According to the committee's note of June 14, the government is interested in merging the two entities. "The merger of the two companies would thus make it possible to generate significant savings resulting from the economies of scale given the similar activities and related investments they are involved in."

The first secretary of SOBUGEA's labour union, Hamissi Hakizimana, has said that before any merger can proceed, a full due diligence of either firm must be undertaken with its results submitted to shareholders for their final decision. He highlighted the fact that in the case of SOBUGEA, government is a 90% shareholder with the remaining 10% held by private entities such as local insurance firm SOCABU and even Belgian carrier Brussels Airlines. It, therefore, cannot act unilaterally without the consent of other shareholders, he said.

* required field

Post a comment

Other Stories
Latest News

More helicopters for Burkina Faso

Burkina Faso signed two agreements covering the delivery of two Mil Mi-171Sh transport helicopters and associated weapons during Russia’s Army 2017 exhibition, according to Sergei Kornev, the deputy director general of the Russian

SITA: Biometric technology is emerging as top solution for airlines and airports

Biometric technology is emerging as the top solution for airlines and airports to automate identity checks amid rising passenger numbers. This is according to Biometrics for Better Travel: An ID Management Revolution, a report

Spike Aerospace predicts supersonic market exceeds 13 Million+ annually

"Supersonic flights could be enjoyed by over 13 million passengers annually when flights begin in 2025," according to Vik Kachoria, CEO & President of Spike Aerospace.

StandardAero achieves EASA AMO certification for South African PT6A engine MRO facility

Vector Aerospace Africa, a StandardAero company located in Lanseria, Johannesburg, South Africa, has secured European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) aircraft maintenance organization (AMO) certification for its engine

Boeing 737 MAX 7 completes successful first flight

Boeing's new 737 MAX 7 successfully completed its first flight today. The airplane remains on schedule and now begins a comprehensive flight test programme leading to certification and delivery in 2019.

IATA innovates dangerous goods handling

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) has launched an innovative new solution for the air cargo industry: Dangerous Goods AutoCheck (DG AutoCheck safety and improve efficiency in the transport of dangerous goods by air

TAA SK0902311218
See us at
Aviation Africa BT18418Global Aerospace BT010518